How To Regain Your Confidence With Dental Implants
Wouldn’t you like to speak or bite into an apple knowing your dental implants won’t slip?
What about flashing a smile… naturally… whenever it strikes you? How about ending your day with an easy brush-and-floss routine without removing dentures?
Perhaps you’re you missing one or more teeth?
If you’ve answered “yes” to any of these questions, then dental implants (artificial tooth root and crown replacements) may be right for you.
Speak to your friends who have experienced tooth loss… They’ll likely tell you about the associated embarrassment… covering their smiles… the social unease… the challenge with speaking and chewing. Dental implants have been the answer for millions of people.
What are dental implants and how can they help me regain my smile and my confidence?
It’s hard to imagine, but 69% of North Americans aged 35-44 have had at least one tooth removed every year as a result of infection, gum disease, or accidents. When you lose teeth, several problems can occur. The remaining teeth can shift, rotate, and become crooked. This can leave you with a bad bite and unsightly spaces, making it painful to chew food, and it can make home care more difficult. Sometimes the appearance is embarrassing too.
Dental implants are a sure-fire way of restoring the form of your natural teeth and their function, whether it is one tooth or a whole jaw. They can also secure dentures to stop irritation due to rubbing sores, clicking noises when you speak, or as an alternative to partial dentures and crown-&-bridge treatment.
Once you’ve had an implant, rather than having a mouth with missing teeth, you’ll have a dazzling smile that brightens your face. In fact, studies show that smiling releases endorphins, which will all boost your mood, immune system, and self-confidence. And in a vast array of social situations, you’ll appear more attractive and you’ll act with more confidence – guaranteed!
How is this procedure done?
- At Pacifica Dental, we will examine your mouth and take x-rays. We’ll discuss your dental history, your wants, and your needs. Together we’ll determine if dental implants are right for you.
- If you are a candidate, our Victoria dentist will place the dental implant (below the gumline).
- We give time for the artificial root to stabilize which allows the implant to begin reinforcing your jawbone and intercept further bone loss.
- Phase 2 involves attaching are placement tooth crown (above the gumline) to the implant.
How much do dental implants cost?
This depends on various factors specific to your case – type of implant, location, number of implants, etc. Many insurance plans cover implants.
Are you considering implants?
That’s great! They truly are a game changer! But although this short article has a lot of information in it, we encourage you to talk to us directly about what dental implants could do for your smile. While they are a tried, tested, and true alternative to dentures – or going without teeth! – every person is different, and so every treatment plan is different too.
Here’s a quick recap checklist:
- Dental implants look, feel, and function like natural teeth. They’re so life-like that people will never detect them, and they’ll never know you’ve had this revolutionary treatment for your smile.
- Patients have raved about their new appearance, comfort, and self-confidence. We’re pretty sure you will too!
- Implants have been available for more than 30 years. That’s a lot of time to collect data, improve the technique, and develop gorgeous-looking replacement teeth.
- Implants provide safe, reliable, and predictable results. Many before-and-after photos of patients are astonishing.
- The current market for dental implants is estimated to be more than $1 billion globally.
- More than 700,000 dental implants are placed every year in North America.
- It has been estimated that another 40 million North Americans could benefit from dental implants. It’s important to have a personalized consultation with us to determine whether or not you’re a dental implant candidate. If you are, we’ll present a treatment plan and explain every step of the way to ensure you’re comfortable and excited about your future smile.
- Implants can replace one tooth or two… or even replace all the teeth in an entire jaw.
- If you wear dentures, implants can be used to replace them or to anchor a denture arch to prevent soreness and eliminate clicking or slipping. They can also act as replacements for bridgework.
- 85% of the estimated 32 million people with dentures experience some discomfort and difficulty. In many cases, dental implants can eliminate the trouble while restoring confidence and enjoyment in speaking, laughing, and eating.
- If you feel self-conscious about your smile, dental implants could be the solution.
Frequently asked questions
For those of you interested in Dental Implants, here are the most frequently asked questions aand answers:
Implants are recommended as soon as possible after losing a natural tooth. After losing a tooth, the area around it begins to lose its function. When the tooth is not being stimulated, the bone volume in the area diminishes and the jawbone actually becomes smaller in size. Although it previously supported the roots of the teeth, the area around the tooth – known as the periodontium – shrinks due to the lack of purpose for which it was created. This phenomenon is called resorption or bone atrophy.
A dental implant is a piece of pure titanium (99.95%) in the shape of a screw. It is meant to create an artificial root in the jawbone, where the natural root missing.
Reconstruction consists of two stages:
- the implant is surgically placed in the bone and
- a prosthetic abutment is placed into the implant. Above the prosthetic abutment is anchored a crown, a bridge or a prosthesis. The materials used are biocompatible and aesthetic: composites, polymers, porcelain on metal structure, porcelain on zirconium structure or integral ceramics, meaning porcelain without metal.
Patients with high blood pressure, diabetes, uremia, heart conditions, hypertension, acute rheumatoid arthritis and those undergoing radiation therapy are not candidates for dental implants.
Also, the procedure is contraindicated for pregnant or lactating women.
There is no age restriction. It is the general health of the patient that is important. As per above, implant treatment may be contraindicated in certain chronic diseases.
An implant will cost an average of 4,300 CAD.
The dental implant imitates the structure of the natural tooth. Therefore, the conditions in the mouth can affect the success of the procedure.
Like a natural tooth, the implant penetrates the jawbone. A healthy bone can support a dental implant.
The bone must be high and thick enough for the implant to fit. The jaw must have solid bone on the outside around softer bone on the inside in order to keep the implant safe. A healthy gum helps protect the jaw from infection by tightening around the implant.
If your oral cavity is healthy and you are in overall good health, you are a possible candidate for dental implants.
At Pacifica Dental, the success rate of a dental implant procedure is 98%.
Depending on the type of implant, its location, and the type of work selected, the total time period can be between 4 and 6 months. There are special dental implants, which due to their composition and surface, can be loaded prosthetically immediately.
If bone augmentation is necessary, then the healing period is longer. Pacifica Dental doctors discuss all aspects of any treatment with each patient and will also advise them on the recovery process.
The dental implant is placed into the bone through a painless and minimally invasive surgical procedure. With vast experience in the field of dental implantology, specializations and endowment technology, Pacifica Dental specialists can perform any type of dental implant – from the simple to the complex.
Many patients say that implant surgery is less painful than extracting a wisdom tooth. With state-of-the-art equipment, safe and effective local anaesthetics, specialized medical staff and years of experience, Pacifica Dental strives to provide treatment with minimal discomfort.
Many dental implants perform their functions successfully for 25-30 years. The prognosis for patients who have had periodontal problems in the past, especially those with bone damage around the roots of natural teeth, is less optimistic than for healthy patients. Diligently following the dentist’s recommendations for post-surgical care is also a factor in determining the success of the implant. Like any artificial body replacement, there are no promises or guarantees regarding the implant’s longevity.
The long-term success of the treatment is dependent on impeccable oral hygiene, done daily by the patient at home, but also, periodically, professionally with special instruments and equipment in the dentist’s office.
Pacifica Dental specialists will help teach you correct brushing techniques, and will recommend the most effective oral hygiene products, including those products developed for taking care of dental implants. Periodic professional sanitizations will be performed by trained hygienists, with specific tools and equipment, designed to protect both the implant and the tissues around it.
Pacifica Dental patients benefit from such a periodic monitoring program. In addition to oral hygiene, the occlusion (bite) will be checked every time, especially in the area of the implants, so that there will be no mechanical changes (overloads) that would lead to compromise and loss of the implant.
If you still don’t know if you are a candidate for dental implants or still want to find out more about this procedure, give us a call and schedule your appointment at Pacifica Dental. Our specialists will explain the entire process to you and we’ll decide together what type of treatment suits you best.
At Pacifica Dental, we can help you to decide if implants are the right solution for you. If your dental evaluation shows that you are a good candidate, as a dentist in Victoria, I can confidently say that you can look forward to a lifetime of smiling with comfort and confidence again.