General Post-Operative Guidelines
- Bleeding Control: If you experience significant bleeding after your dental implant procedure, apply firm pressure using the provided gauze for up to 2 hours. If bleeding persists, use a dampened tea bag and bite down for an additional hour, following our guidance.
- Pain Management: Follow our recommended pain management instructions. For moderate to severe pain, you can consider combining 400 mg of Ibuprofen with 2 extra strength Tylenol (Acetaminophen) taken together every 6 hours, as advised by our dental professionals. Ensure you consider any other prescribed medications and do not exceed 4,000 mg of Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and 2,400 mg of Ibuprofen within a 24-hour period. If you have questions regarding your pain control regimen or its interaction with other medications, please reach out to our office for clarification.
- Swelling Reduction: To minimize swelling during the initial 24-48 hours, apply an ice pack for 20 minutes intermittently, following our recommended schedule.
Dental Implant-Specific Instructions
- Diet: Following your dental implant surgery, maintain a cold liquid diet comprising smoothies and protein drinks for the first 2 days. Afterward, transition to soft foods such as scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, pureed peas, carrot puree, parsnip puree, and fish. Avoid crunchy and spicy foods, as they may interfere with the healing process. As a general recommendation “If you can hear it, don’t eat it.”
- Oral Hygiene: Practice gentle oral hygiene, avoiding the surgical site while brushing and flossing. Rinse your mouth with a lukewarm saltwater solution (one teaspoon of salt in a cup of room temperature water), adhering to our provided guidelines.
- Avoid Foods with Seeds or Fresh Vegetables: Prevent particles from entering the surgical area by refraining from foods containing seeds or fresh vegetables.
- Sutures (Stitches): If sutures have been placed, do not manipulate or attempt to remove them. Allow them to dissolve naturally or schedule a follow-up appointment with our dental team for their removal.
- Tobacco and Alcohol: To ensure the successful integration of your dental implant and a smooth recovery, we strongly recommend abstaining from smoking and alcohol consumption during the initial healing period.