Learn how often to replace your toothbrush, the best way to brush your teeth, and other dental hygiene tips from Pacifica Dental.
When it comes to dental hygiene, there are a few simple steps you can take that will go a long way toward keeping your teeth healthy and free from cavities. One of the most important is replacing your toothbrush regularly. But how often should you be doing this? Let’s find out.
How Often Should You Replace Your Toothbrush?
The Canadian Dental Association (CDA) recommends that you should replace your toothbrush (or swap your electric toothbrush head) every three to four months as long as you use it at least twice daily.
If you have an illness such as a cold or flu, it is especially important to replace your toothbrush as soon as you start feeling better to avoid re-infecting yourself with the same virus.
It’s also a good idea to replace your toothbrush after any oral surgery, such as dental implants or wisdom teeth removal, since the bristles may have come into contact with germs from inside the mouth.
Brushing Tips for Better Oral Hygiene
In addition to replacing your brush on a regular basis, proper brushing technique is essential for maintaining good oral hygiene. Here are some tips from our team at Pacifica Dental for getting maximum benefit from brushing:
- Use gentle circular motions when brushing—too much pressure can cause gum damage and irritation over time.
- Brush for two minutes at least twice a day.
- Make sure you brush all surfaces of each tooth—especially hard-to-reach areas like molars.
- Don’t forget about flossing! Flossing removes plaque and food particles that cannot be removed by brushing alone; and
- Ask our hygienists about using fluoride mouthwash to help reduce cavities and protect against bacteria growth in hard-to-reach areas like between teeth or below the gum line.
To Wrap Things Up
Taking care of your teeth is vital for promoting overall health and wellness throughout life. By following these simple steps – replacing your toothbrush regularly and using proper brushing techniques – you can keep your smile looking great for years to come!
For more information about proper dental hygiene habits, contact Pacifica Dental today!
We would be happy to answer any questions you may have about taking care of your pearly whites!
The Pacifica Dental Team